Former Chelsea defender Alex has urged the club to keep hold of center-back David Luiz, insisting that he’s still among the best in his position. Luiz’ style of defending has attracted heavy criticisms especially when things go awry in the Chelsea defence.
David Luiz helped Chelsea to the Premier League title in the 2016/17 season but has struggled to make a mark on the side this season, having made just 14 appearances in all competitions.
Reports suggest that Monaco have expressed interest in the Brazilian defender in a bid to end his current plight at Chelsea under Antonio Conte, However, Alex has insisted that Luiz is still an asset to Chelsea.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Champions League Draw: Everything You Need To Know
- Chelsea’s Champions League Draw Offers Novelty, What More?
- Former Chelsea Star, Didier Drogba Wins The 2020 UEFA President’s Award
- Lampard Offers Two Chelsea Players In Exchange For Declan Rice Deal
- Spurs Win Penalty Shootout Against Chelsea After Mount Miss
- Tottenham Vs Chelsea: Mourinho Drops Dele Alli For Carabao Cup Clash
- Tottenham Vs Chelsea: Mendy, Chilwell To Play Carabao Cup Clash
- Tottenham Vs Chelsea: Lampard Fires Back At Mourinho Ahead Of Carabao Cup Clash
- Inter Outline N’Golo Kante Stance Of Leaving Chelsea
- Werner Unhappy With Chelsea’s Performance After 3-3 Draw With West Brom
“He has been out for two or three months with a knee problem. He was very good last year, it worked out well in the Conte line-up with three defenders,” Alex said in an interview with Goal.
“There are many defenders who like to play in this line-up. David Luiz did very well as a libero. Unfortunately, he did not start well this season. I’m not sure what happened, probably a problem, so he lost his place in the starting line-up. I’m very fond of him. He’s a great friend, a great person.
“Could he leave? It’s difficult to talk, every day you may be surprised… We do not know yet if the coach will continue. Sometimes a new coach arrives, and the player ends up receiving more opportunities. David is an experienced player. For me, he should not leave, because Chelsea is an exceptional club. I think he should stay and try one more time. For the quality he has, the player that he is, the opportunities will appear.
“I have seen great players, especially in my position, who lost their place in their teams, for example John Terry, a player I always saw as the best player in the world of my position at that time.
“[Luiz], due to injury and some other things, has also lost his spot. David Luiz is still a great defender, and he’s not that old! You have to turn things around.”