Maurizio Sarri has confirmed that Cesar Azpilicueta will remain as Chelsea captain when they welcome Arsenal to Stamford Bridge in the Premier League on Saturday.
However, he has held off on announcing Chelsea’s captain for the 2018/19 football season.
Therefore, Gary Cahill still remains the official club captain after taking over from John Terry, although he might see less action in a Chelsea shirt this season.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Chelsea 2 – Sheffield United 2: The Blues Drop Points Again
- ULC Draw: Chelsea’s Champions League Opponents Revealed
- Full List Of Injured Chelsea Players Ahead Of Sheffield United Clash
- What Tammy Abraham Said After Opening His Chelsea Goal Account
- Chelsea: Frank Lampard Gives Fitness Update On Kante
- Chelsea Manager Frank Lampard Gives Fitness Update On Pedro
- Chelsea Manager Frank Lampard Praises Mason Mount
- Norwich 2-3 Chelsea: Tammy, Mount Seal First Win For The Blues
- Kepa Arrizabalaga Reveals What Chelsea Must Do After Losing Twice
- Lampard has encouraged his side to apply more attacking intent and freedom
Azpilicueta was the Cahill’s vice-captain and is a suitable candidate for the role on a full-time basis. However, reports have emerged that Hazard could be handed the armband.
Hazard was Belgium’s captain in the Russia 2018 World Cup and was very key to their achievement in the tournament. Regardless, Sarri continues to be quiet about who will take over the role.
“But, as I said last week, for the moment the captain is Azpilicueta. But I want to know very well my players. In ten days or a couple of weeks, I will be able to decide the final one.”
When asked if Cahill could remain as captain, Sarri added: “I don’t know. Maybe Cahill. But I’d like to know very well the players [first].”