Maurizio Sarri has confirmed that Cesar Azpilicueta will remain as Chelsea captain when they welcome Arsenal to Stamford Bridge in the Premier League on Saturday.
However, he has held off on announcing Chelsea’s captain for the 2018/19 football season.
Therefore, Gary Cahill still remains the official club captain after taking over from John Terry, although he might see less action in a Chelsea shirt this season.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Chelsea are Offering a three year deal to Lampard
- Why Frank Lampard may fit in at Chelsea
- Lampard will thrive as Chelsea’s head coach
- It’s arguable but Maurizio Sarri took the easy route
- This trio should be key players at Chelsea next season
- The Chelsea job is becoming less attractive
- Why Jose Mourinho should not return to Chelsea
- Inter Milan Appoints Antonio Conte as their new manager
- Again? Chelsea striker Giroud enjoys new swipe at Arsenal
- Former Real Madrid President Reveals What’s Holding Hazard’s Move To Real Madrid
Azpilicueta was the Cahill’s vice-captain and is a suitable candidate for the role on a full-time basis. However, reports have emerged that Hazard could be handed the armband.
Hazard was Belgium’s captain in the Russia 2018 World Cup and was very key to their achievement in the tournament. Regardless, Sarri continues to be quiet about who will take over the role.
“But, as I said last week, for the moment the captain is Azpilicueta. But I want to know very well my players. In ten days or a couple of weeks, I will be able to decide the final one.”
When asked if Cahill could remain as captain, Sarri added: “I don’t know. Maybe Cahill. But I’d like to know very well the players [first].”