Ben Chilwell will get his dream shirt number at Chelsea if Marina Granovskaia seals £18m transfer.
Ben Chilwell was a name that has long been tipped to join Frank Lampard’s revolution and this week he finally became a Blues player in a deal worth a reported £50m.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Lampard Offers Two Chelsea Players In Exchange For Declan Rice Deal
- Tottenham Vs Chelsea: Mendy, Chilwell To Play Carabao Cup Clash
- Lampard To Sign Declan Rice For £40m After 3-3 Draw With West Brom
- Everton Very Hopeful Of Clinching Tomori Deal
- ‘Werner Will Have A Field Day’ – Chelsea Fans Can’t Believe Liverpool Defending Leeds United
- Chelsea Decides As Inter Milan Offer Eriksen, Brozovic Plus Cash For Kante
- Frank Lampard Reveals Key Secrete To Transfer Success (Full Text)
- How My Wife Aided My Surprise Role In Chelsea -Lampard
- Frank Lampard Set Sell N’Golo Kante After Kai Havertz Deal
- Chelsea Spending Spree Continues After Kai Havertz Deal
As Chilwell has now joined, supporters have already seen the England international holding the Chelsea shirt at his unveiling – but what squad number could the left-back take at Stamford Bridge?
Since breaking into the first-team picture at Leicester, Chilwell has worn number 3 and 30 on the back of his shirt. At Chelsea, the incumbent no. 3 is Marcos Alonso, and the Spaniard has forced his way into Lampard’s plans since the 2019/20 campaign resumed.
According to the Express, the Europa League champions have set their sights on the left-back, and are willing to pay £18m for his services.
This means Chilwell could receive his favoured number if a decision is made to sell Alonso to Sevilla this summer
With that said, Chilwell did wear no.25 during a loan spell at Huddersfield. So, what other squad numbers will be available to the 23-year-old if he does sign for the Blues at some point in the summer?
Below, we take a look to see what numbers are currently free at Stamford Bridge.
Willian has now gone.
The player was out of contract at the end of the 2019/2020 season and has since completed his move to London rivals Arsenal following months of speculation regarding his future.
The No.11 is also currently up for grabs with Pedro sealing a free transfer to AS Roma.
Although the No.25 shirt has not been officially retired by the club, it seems that Chelsea do not want anyone to take on Gianfranco Zola’s famous number.
Departing for his home country back in 2003, nobody at the club has worn the shirt since the Italian maestro departed over a decade ago.
As is the case with the No.25 shirt, John Terry’s No.26 may well be left vacant following his trophy-laden spell at Stamford Bridge.
Andreas Christensen’s move to the no.4 has left the no.27 vacant.
This became vacant when David Luiz joined Arsenal in the summer.
It’s a squad number that has been worn by the likes of Yossi Benayoun, Tiago and Jesper Gronjkaer in the past.
The No.32 shirt has been vacant following Marco Amelia’s departure in 2016.
Andreas Christensen, the club’s current No.4, had worn the number during the 2012/13 season.