Finally, Chelsea has announced what shirt numbers Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner will wear as next season begins September.
SaveChelsea reports that the Morocco international Star was the first of five summer signings thus far as his €40m (£33.4m) move from Ajax – which could potentially increase to a maximum of €44m – was agreed shortly after the January transfer window closed.
This online Chelsea fan page understands that he was then joined by Werner as the Blues won the race ahead of Liverpool and Manchester United by triggering the £47.5m release clause in his contract at RB Leipzig.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Champions League Draw: Everything You Need To Know
- Lampard Offers Two Chelsea Players In Exchange For Declan Rice Deal
- Spurs Win Penalty Shootout Against Chelsea After Mount Miss
- Werner Unhappy With Chelsea’s Performance After 3-3 Draw With West Brom
- Lampard To Sign Declan Rice For £40m After 3-3 Draw With West Brom
- Chelsea FIFA 21 Player Ratings With N’Golo Kante Highest-Rated On FUT 21
- Antonio Breaks Silence After Being Dropped In Liverpool Clash
- Chelsea Fans Back One Of Last Season’s Stars To Outshine Werner And Havertz
- How Mason Mount Reacted To Chelsea Signing Kai Havertz – Lampard
- ‘Werner Will Have A Field Day’ – Chelsea Fans Can’t Believe Liverpool Defending Leeds United
However, the pair have been training at Cobham without being allocated shirt numbers.
That was until the Blues’ first pre-season game against Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday afternoon as it was confirmed shortly before kick-off that Ziyech will wear no.22 and Werner has been given no.11.
These choices come as no surprise.
Ziyech wore no.22 at Ajax last season, and the German wore no.11 at RB Leipzig.
The latter squad number recently became available at Chelsea after Pedro’s exit had been confirmed.
Werner x Ziyech 🤩
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) August 29, 2020
With that said, the number 10 shirt is still vacant.
Are Chelsea hinting at it being saved for Kai Havertz who is close to sealing a move to Stamford Bridge from Bayer Leverkusen? Or will it be Christian Pulisic’s as he is now without a squad number?
Now with the no.11 taken, what other shirt numbers are available at Chelsea right now that Pulisic could take if he doesn’t get no.10?
Below, we take a look.
Willian has now gone.
The player was out of contract at the end of the 2019/2020 season and has since completed his move to London rivals Arsenal following months of speculation regarding his future.
The No.11 is also currently up for grabs with Pedro sealing a free transfer to AS Roma.
Although the No.25 shirt has not been officially retired by the club, it seems that Chelsea do not want anyone to take on Gianfranco Zola’s famous number.
Departing for his home country back in 2003, nobody at the club has worn the shirt since the Italian maestro departed over a decade ago.
As is the case with the No.25 shirt, John Terry’s No.26 may well be left vacant following his trophy-laden spell at Stamford Bridge.
Andreas Christensen’s move to the no.4 has left the no.27 vacant.
This became vacant when David Luiz joined Arsenal in the summer.
It’s a squad number that has been worn by the likes of Yossi Benayoun, Tiago and Jesper Gronjkaer in the past.
The No.32 shirt has been vacant following Marco Amelia’s departure in 2016.
Andreas Christensen, the club’s current No.4, had worn the number during the 2012/13 season.