Nathan Ake will complete his £41million transfer to Man City.
Ake, who is Netherlands defender, was the subject of a City bid last week, only days after Bournemouth’s relegation from the top-flight was confirmed.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Champions League Draw: Everything You Need To Know
- UPDATE: Chelsea’s Eighth Summer Signing ‘Almost Done’
- Chelsea Decides As Inter Milan Offer Eriksen, Brozovic Plus Cash For Kante
- Declan Rice: See Details Of Chelsea’s Contract For West Ham Midfielder
- Chelsea Set To Give Willian No.10 Shirt To Pulisic
- Edouard Mendy Transfer Confirmation: Chelsea To Increase Bid
- Full Carabao Cup Second and Third Round Draw: Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Features
- LATEST CHELSEA FOOTBALL TRANSFER NEWS FOR TODAY WEDNESDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER
- Chelsea’s Timo Werner Sends Strong Signal To Liverpool, Man City
- LATEST CHELSEA FOOTBALL TRANSFER NEWS FOR TODAY SUNDAY 30TH AUGUST
SaveChelsea understands that the Cherries – who are currently on the lookout for a new manager following Eddie Howe’s departure by mutual consent on Saturday – quickly accepted the offer which is said to be worth £40m rising to £41m.
And personal terms have since be agreed between Ake and his new club, SaveChelsea understands, with the transfer to be announced officially shortly.
Recall that Ake joined Bournemouth from Chelsea, initially on loan, in 2016, and made his move permanent the following year for a club-record £20m.
The Blues inserted a clause in the deal which allowed them to match any bid Bournemouth accepted for Ake, which meant the Cherries had to notify Frank Lampard’s side of Man City’s £41m offer.
But reliable sources understand that Chelsea has decided against matching the bid which leaves the path open for Ake to complete his transfer to the Etihad with no complications.
A highly-rated defender who, at 25, still has his best years ahead of him, Ake is being signed by Man City after a season in which they have been shaky at the back.
Vincent Kompany was never replaced when he departed last summer, and Ake will be asked to solidify the back-line next term, SaveChelsea reports.
And Crystal Palace ace Andros Townsend called Ake a ‘perfect signing’ for Man City as he co-hosted the talkSPORT Breakfast on Wednesday morning.
“I think it’s a bargain,” said Townsend. “I think Nathan Ake could be the piece that Man City missed this season.
“You don’t really see two left-footed centre-backs too often, but I think he’s a player who will slot straight in.
“He knows Pep’s way of playing; he’s done it before as he’s from Holland and they are brought up on that style of play.
“So, I think he will slot in perfectly.
BREAKING: Nathan Ake has agreed personal terms with Man City.
Chelsea have decided not exercise their option to match City’s £41m bid for their former defender.
– talkSPORT understands
— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) August 5, 2020
“I think it’s a top, top signing for Man City.”
However, Martin Keown, the Arsenal great, has doubts over the transfer.
Keown, himself a defender, told talkSPORT last week: “I do have concerns, in terms of the stature of the player – 5ft 11ins.
“He looked more like a full-back at the beginning of his career.
“Came in, let’s not forget, he made his debut in 2012, he’s no longer really a young player.
“But he has been magnificent for Bournemouth for the last three/four seasons.
“Of course, this year it didn’t work out.
“He’s matured in the way that he plays, whether he’s good enough for Man City, we’ll have to wait and see.
“Laporte is their left-sided central defender, so it would be unusual see two left-sided central defenders playing alongside one another.
“But nonetheless, I think he is adaptable.
“He can play left-back, he can play deep in midfield and obviously Pep Guardiola feels that he’ll be able to slot in on that right hand side.
“Because you have to feel Laporte will be the one who plays on the left.”