For Edouard Mendy transfer talk with Chelsea to be completed, the Blues will need to increase the bid.
SaveChelsea reports that Renne’s executive director Nicolas Holveck has confirmed that talks continue to take place with Chelsea over a transfer for goalkeeper Edouard Mendy but said no deal has been agreed for the Senegal international yet.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Champions League Draw: Everything You Need To Know
- Lampard Offers Two Chelsea Players In Exchange For Declan Rice Deal
- Spurs Win Penalty Shootout Against Chelsea After Mount Miss
- Tottenham Vs Chelsea: Mendy, Chilwell To Play Carabao Cup Clash
- Lampard To Sign Declan Rice For £40m After 3-3 Draw With West Brom
- West Brom Vs Chelsea: Lampard Speaks On Starting Mendy Ahead Of Kepa In EPL Clash
- UPDATE: Chelsea’s Eighth Summer Signing ‘Almost Done’
- Chelsea Close Deal On Rennes Goalkeeper
- Chelsea Decides As Inter Milan Offer Eriksen, Brozovic Plus Cash For Kante
- Declan Rice: See Details Of Chelsea’s Contract For West Ham Midfielder
According to reports, Chelsea is increasingly confident of sealing a deal for the 28-year-old, who is admired by the technical adviser and former Rennes ‘keeper Petr Cech, but they had an initial bid of about £18million rejected.
Rennes would like closer to £30million and football.london has been told compromise is likely and an eventual deal could be struck for about £25million.
“Discussions have started with Chelsea for Edouard Mendy,” Holveck said. “I can understand his desire [to move], he told us. But for the moment, there is no agreement for a transfer.
“There needs to be an agreement between all three parties.”
While not a household name across Europe, a quick look at the data suggests a very good goalkeeper who excels in the areas that Kepa Arrizabalaga struggles.
According to WhoScored, 94 goalkeepers made 20 appearances or more in Europe’s top five leagues last season and Mendy ranked ninth in terms of average save success (75.3%), with Kepa last (53.9%). The average of all 94 was 68.4%.
At 6ft 6in, he is far more commanding from crosses and set pieces and tends to be quite proactive.
It is not clear if Mendy would need to quarantine for two weeks in accordance with government regulations as he has been in an elite sport bubble in France.
Mendy played in Rennes’ opening Ligue 1 game of the season but was not involved in their second fixture and a subsequent friendly.