- Cesc Fabregas calls out on strikers not converting chances.
- He further laments on the defensive mode of play and always trying to keep a clean sheet, as not the best game plan.
Cesc Fabregas appears to have hit out at Chelsea’s forwards, insisting that they’ve not been at their clinical best this season. Chelsea have a slim chance of making it to next year’s UCL competition despite the win over Liverpool on Sunday.
Fabregas has now admitted that club’s average performance has been down to their failure to put away chances consistently throughout the season.
He mentioned in an interview Sky Sports that;
“We could have won more if we had been more clinical and that’s been our weakest point this season,”
“We are taking more chances because we are winning, and that’s the most important. I think defensively as well, we have been keeping clean-sheets.”
“But the biggest regret this season, it’s been up front, not taking our chances. We have had many, many chances to score in games – to win games that we didn’t win.”
Eden Hazard is Chelsea’s leading goal scorer in all competitions with 16 goals while Alvaro Morata can only boast of a meager 15 goals in 45 appearances for the Blues. Batshuayi was loaned to Dortmund, while the club signed Olivier Giroud to beef up their striking options and it appears to be paying off in short time.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Kepa Arrizabalaga Reveals What Chelsea Must Do After Losing Twice
- Frank Lampard confirms the goodbye to Sarriball at Chelsea
- Pulisic is close to Messi and Ronaldo at international level
- The new boss must answer the Jorginho vs Kante question
- Fantastic goal Kepa made sure Courtois was not missed
- Chelsea must consider Zouma for key role amid transfer ban
- Blues eye permanent deal for Kovacic – Good or bad?
- The Blues must land a prolific striker this summer
- Chelsea FC should shun the lackadaisical approach
- Who in the Chelsea team can replace Hazard?
“Oli is helping us a lot in certain things that maybe we were lacking,” he said. “The most important is he is scoring big goals which is what we ask – especially me as a midfielder. This is what we want – the strikers put their chances away and make the team win points.”
Fabregas went on to admit that Chelsea has fell short this term with regards to the standard they set last season.
“We haven’t done well enough in trying to retain the title. It’s true that we expected to do better,” he added. “The reality is that up until mid-January we were good, in a strong position in basically all competitions.
“But Man City have gone into another level this year. They have been playing very well. They didn’t give a chance – the same way we didn’t give anybody a chance last year.”
“Congratulations to them, and next season we must make sure we come back stronger than ever.”
Also catch up on our story on Fabregas return from knee injury.
Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas has confirmed that he is close to a return from his knee injury nightmare. He also expressed his readiness to impress the new coach, Maurizio Sarri. Click the link to get the full gist.
What’s your take on this, kindly comment in the box below.