- Giroud was unsure of his reception by fans at Stamford Bridge.
- The Frenchman will face Man United in an FA Cup encounter this weekend.
Olivier Giroud has revealed that he was uncertain of a welcome reception from Chelsea fans on his debut in February. The Frenchman joined Chelsea in a £21m deal from Arsenal on the January transfer deadline day.
The France International was deemed surplus to requirements at Arsenal and moved to Chelsea in search of regular first-team football to boost his chances of representing France in Russia 2018.
Giroud has scored 6 goals and provided 3 assists since he arrived at Chelsea with his strike in a 2 nil win over Southampton in the FA Cup semi-final inclusive. The Frenchman has gone on to become one of the fans’ favorites at Stamford Bridge but admitted he was not sure of the reception he got from the Blues supporters on his debut.
“When I first arrived I was hearing a noise like “ooo” and I wasn’t sure if it was ‘Giroud’ or “boo,”
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Chelsea 2 – Sheffield United 2: The Blues Drop Points Again
- ULC Draw: Chelsea’s Champions League Opponents Revealed
- Full List Of Injured Chelsea Players Ahead Of Sheffield United Clash
- What Tammy Abraham Said After Opening His Chelsea Goal Account
- Chelsea: Frank Lampard Gives Fitness Update On Kante
- Chelsea Manager Frank Lampard Gives Fitness Update On Pedro
- Chelsea Manager Frank Lampard Praises Mason Mount
- Norwich 2-3 Chelsea: Tammy, Mount Seal First Win For The Blues
- Kepa Arrizabalaga Reveals What Chelsea Must Do After Losing Twice
- Frank Lampard confirms the goodbye to Sarriball at Chelsea
Giroud told Chelsea FC’s website.
“I remembered Ruud van Nistelrooy, they used to shout his name like that, “Ruuuud”, so then I realized they were doing that for me. It’s nice. I could feel from the start the Chelsea fans are behind me.
“They see I want to give everything, 100 percent, always, for the team. That’s most important for the fans, to give everything, and give back to them the same confidence they give me.”
Chelsea faces Man United this weekend in the FA Cup final, a competition Giroud won thrice in his last five seasons with Arsenal.
Giroud admits he was not on his best form in the semi-final match win versus Frankfurt but he hopes Maurizio Sarri will believe in him and start him for the final match.