Olivier Giroud has revealed that he dedicated his winning goal against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Sunday to David Luiz because of the trying period Luiz has been made to endure in recent months. Giroud scored the only goal and eventual winner of the game against Liverpool with a well-placed header and ran to the Chelsea dugout to hug David Luiz who is still out of action due to a knee injury.
Conte had disclosed he was unaware of the emotional celebration between the duo when questioned by journalists. It can be recalled that the Italian manager dropped Luiz from the first team at the end of last year.
However, Giroud revealed that the gesture was to show support to his Brazilian team-mate.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Champions League Draw: Everything You Need To Know
- We Know How To Beat Liverpool, Lampard Brags
- UPDATE: Chelsea’s Eighth Summer Signing ‘Almost Done’
- Chelsea Decides As Inter Milan Offer Eriksen, Brozovic Plus Cash For Kante
- Declan Rice: See Details Of Chelsea’s Contract For West Ham Midfielder
- Chelsea Set To Give Willian No.10 Shirt To Pulisic
- Edouard Mendy Transfer Confirmation: Chelsea To Increase Bid
- Full Carabao Cup Second and Third Round Draw: Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Features
- Chelsea’s Timo Werner Sends Strong Signal To Liverpool, Man City
- Chelsea and Manchester City In Pain Over Lionel Messi Transfer Blow As La Liga Issue Key Statement
In an interview with Sky Sports, Giroud said: “David Luiz is a good friend, so I was very pleased to dedicate him this goal because he is going through a tough period and he is coming back.”
When journalists questioned Conte on the celebration, Conte said: “I didn’t see it. I tried to use this moment to give some advice to my players.
“For sure, tonight, I want to watch this celebration on TV, and I hope to see this celebration many times over the rest of the season.
“I don’t know if there is a special relationship. They are team-mates.”