Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has admitted that Chelsea’s new midfield signing Jorginho avoided making a mistake with his decision to join Chelsea over Manchester City.
Jorginho was heavily linked with a move to the Etihad in the early stages of the summer as he was added to Man City’s priority signings in midfield. However, the player joined Chelsea in a shocking £56 million deal which appeared to have been triggered by Sarri’s move to Chelsea. The Man City hierarchy were left frustrated and furious after missing out on a top transfer target.
However, Guardiola appeared not to be disturbed by the player’s move to Chelsea as he stated that Jorginho would have made a mistake by not reuniting with his former boss at Stamford Bridge.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Fabregas – I wish Sarri had come earlier
- Maurizio Sarri makes history
- Sarriball vs Pep’s Tiki-Taka – A cracker!
- Arsenal provided tough test for Sarriball
- Pedro – Sarri’s ideas will take time
- Guardiola – Jorginho avoided a mistake by joining Chelsea
- Chelsea agree £57m Jorginho transfer including Sarri’s deal
- Report – Jorginho likely to be part of Sarri deal
“I’m not disappointed,” Guardiola said. “We tried, but at the end all my advice for the players is that they have to go where they want to go.
“For the guy, it would have been a mistake for him and for us if he had decided to come here when he wanted to go with Maurizio and Chelsea.
“So it is important that English football has received an exceptional player and at the end if they want to come, it’s better they come.
“If he decides to go to Chelsea for the reasons he has explained or will explain, then all the best for him.”