It can be recalled that reports were rife that Chelsea had turned their attention to France international and Olympique Lyonnais midfielder Nabil Fekir.
However, it appears that they were just rumors as the president of the Ligue 1 club has come out to state that the Blues were never interested in Nabil Fekir.
Fekir was very close to a move to the Premier League with Liverpool but saw the move fall through due to medical issues.
Lyon president Jean-Michel-Aulas has now confirmed that Chelsea passed up the opportunity to sign the creative midfielder this summer.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Kepa Arrizabalaga Reveals What Chelsea Must Do After Losing Twice
- Frank Lampard confirms the goodbye to Sarriball at Chelsea
- Pulisic is close to Messi and Ronaldo at international level
- The new boss must answer the Jorginho vs Kante question
- Fantastic goal Kepa made sure Courtois was not missed
- Chelsea must consider Zouma for key role amid transfer ban
- Blues eye permanent deal for Kovacic – Good or bad?
- The Blues must land a prolific striker this summer
- Chelsea FC should shun the lackadaisical approach
- Who in the Chelsea team can replace Hazard?
It had been reported some weeks back that the Blues had rejected the chance to sign the midfielder, and the latest comments from Aulas have given credence to the reports.
In a chat with reporters, Aulas said:
“In the beginning, when we thought about our summer transfer window and how to organise the future squad, we thought that he [Fekir] was practically gone.
“That’s why we have been able to adapt things.
“We spoke with Chelsea representatives, and they had no interest at all in him.
“From then on, we realised we could change our plans [as he would stay].”
Fekir was in high demand this summer after scoring 21 goals in all competitions for Lyon whilst making nine assists.
His creativity in the final third was what attracted huge interest from major clubs but the player is set to remain with Lyon this summer.