Chelsea are close to hiring former player and club legend Frank Lampard according to reports.
Apparently, no player moves might be made till a manager is confirmed at the club. Little wonder the Blues have not been in the news with regards to any major transfer targets.
Regardless, Chelsea must strengthen one of the key positions if they’re to make any major headway in the upcoming season. This will depend on the status of the two-window transfer ban that looms at the club.
It’s a no-brainer that Chelsea need a proven and prolific striker to lead the line next season.
You Might Also Want To Read:
- Lampard is confident Chelsea do not need new signings to achieve greatness
- Frank Lampard says he expect Hudson-Odoi to stay at Chelsea
- Hudson-Odoi has a huge opportunity in front of him says Lampard
- Frank Lampard confirms the goodbye to Sarriball at Chelsea
- Pulisic is close to Messi and Ronaldo at international level
- Chelsea will annouce Ruben Loftus-cheek contract exetension
- Lampard’s Chelsea return very close
- Former Teammate backs Lampard for success at the Bridge
- The new boss must answer the Jorginho vs Kante question
- Chelsea will play attacking football under Lampard
The players who are available and can play the role presently may not be good enough as it would be suicidal to rely on an aging Olivier Giroud for a full season where there’ll be UEFA Champions League engagements.
The Blues had the likes of Gonzalo Higuain and the Frenchman Olivier Giroud on the books last season but their output in the Premier League in terms of goals scored was meager, to say the least, albeit Giroud who beasted in the UEFA Europa League.
A certain Eden Hazard was the club’s highest goalscorer last season as he always came to the rescue when the going got tough last season. However, he’s no longer a Blue, having sealed a dream move to Real Madrid in Spain.
The Blues will have Olivier Giroud as the only experienced striker in the team. Tammy Abraham who spent time in the Championship last season will also be available but it remains to be seen if he’ll be given the chance to stake a claim for a place in the team.
Chelsea need a prolific striker who’ll be complemented by Olivier Giroud and possibly Tammy Abraham as this is a need at the club.
Therefore, the Blues must put plans in place to land one this summer, although this will only be possible if the transfer ban is delayed. Hopefully, this turns out to be the case.